Quality beehive inner covers help to ensure thriving bee colonies.
Explore the crucial role of inner covers in beehive health and maintenance. Our top-quality beekeeping supplies include versatile inner covers with features like ventilation and integrated feeding, essential for optimal beehive management.
The inner cover of a beehive is a wooden ceiling with a hole in the middle, placed between the top box (super) and the outer cover. It's crucial for several reasons:
In essence, the inner cover is a bee's air conditioner, insulator, space creator, extra door, and food delivery system. It's a vital part of a bee's home.
Join your fellow beekeepers and boost your bee hives with our multi-use inner covers!
Hoover Hive Wax Coated Inner Cover
Hoover Hives manufactures versatile inner covers for beehives, a crucial component in bee hive health and maintenance.
These weatherproof, beeswax-coated Fir wood brim covers accommodate oval bee escapes and feeding mounts, ensuring optimal hive conditions.
The natural materials and functional design make them durable, multi-use covers suited for beekeeping needs.
Amish Busy Bees Inner Cover
Crafted by skilled Amish woodworkers, this ventilated inner cover is designed with beekeeper utility in mind, contributing significantly to effective bee hive maintenance.
The cut-out in the center of the cover enables two feeding options—holding a mason jar feeder full of sugar syrup or providing access to a feeder box placed above the cover.
This versatile inner cover uses thoughtful ventilation and feeding features to support hive health year-round.
Nubee's Inner Cover
Nubee's versatile inner covers, a key part of beekeeping equipment, allow beekeepers to manage multiple hive functions effectively.
The covers can accommodate oval bee escapes in the center opening to help remove bees from honey supers.
They also enable feeding mounts to be placed securely inside the hive, providing a way to feed bees syrup and supplements.
Hoover Hives Wax Coated Covers Kit
The Hoover Hives Covers Kit provides beekeepers with all the hive components to make your leftover boxes & frames into a full hive.
The kit contains every essential cover piece, enabling you to convert a brood box into a fully functioning hive.
It can also serve as a repair and replacement kit to swap out damaged items from an existing hive.
Amish Busy Bees Covers Kit
This Amish-made Covers Kit can quickly turn your leftover boxes & frames into a full hive.
If you've been collecting hive bodies over the years or inherited some from another beekeeper, then this kit is a great way to put them to use.
Nubee Covers Kit
The Nubee Covers Kit provides the complete selection of hive cover components to create a full beehive from a few bee boxes.
The kit contains all the necessary pieces, allowing beekeepers to easily convert leftover boxes into a functioning hive.
It can also serve as a replacement kit by providing fresh covers to switch out worn parts from existing hives.
The inner cover is an important part of a beehive that sits atop the uppermost honey super or brood box. It serves several key functions:
- It provides an insulating airspace between the hive contents and the outer cover, helping regulate hive temperature. The inner cover creates a layer of still air that acts as insulation to prevent heat loss in winter and overheating in summer.
- It allows ventilation of the hive while preventing pests from entering. Inner covers have a notch or hole that allows moist air to escape from the hive. This ventilation prevents condensation buildup. At the same time, the inner cover forms a barrier that keeps pests like mice from getting into the hive.
- It provides a landing platform and entry point for bees. Bees use the inner cover as a place to land when returning from foraging trips. The notch/hole in the inner cover gives them an upper entrance to the hive in addition to the lower entrance.
- It prevents bees from gluing down the outer cover with propolis. Without an inner cover, bees tend to seal the outer cover to the top bars of the frames using sticky propolis (bee glue). The inner cover creates a propolis-free space between the hive and outer lid.
- It allows easy access to feed bees. Beekeepers can place syrup feeders, pollen patties, or fondant directly on the inner cover to supplement bee nutrition. The food is easily accessible to bees from below through the notch or hole.
The inner cover is a simple but ingenious piece of beekeeping equipment. Its multiple functions help maintain ideal conditions within the beehive that support a healthy, productive colony. Proper use of an inner cover is an important part of successful beekeeping.